Ryzen Threadripper 3960X - Socket sTRX4 - boxed
- 24-Core CPU from AMD's "Zen" family for workstations
- 3.8 GHz Base- and 4.5 GHz Boost Clock
- Multi-Threading with 48 virtual cores
- XFR Automatic overclocking
- 280 Watt TDP & unlocked multiplier
- 16 MB L2- & 128 MB L3 Cache
- Boxed version without CPU cooler
Product information - Ryzen Threadripper 3960X - Socket sTRX4 - boxed
AMD Ryzen Processors with Borderlands 3 and/or The Outer Worlds!While the promotion period lasts, Caseking will add the games Borderlands 3 and/or The Outer Worlds to qualifying AMD Ryzen processors. Also valid are complete Caseking systems and King Mod products with one of the promotional products. For each AMD Ryzen 9 processor of the 3000 series and the AMD Ryzen 7 3800X there are 2 games to go with it, while for all other eligible AMD Ryzen CPUs 1 game can be selected.
- Valid promotional products:
AMD Ryzen 9 3000-series, AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, Ryzen 7 3700X, Ryzen 5 3600X, Ryzen 7 2700X & Ryzen 7 2700 + AMD-Powered Complete Caseking Systems + AMD King Mod Products
- Promotional period: 30.09.2019 to 15.02.2020 (promotion extended; vouchers redeemable until 14.03.2020)
- Bonus: Borderlands 3 and/or The Outer Worlds (see text)
- More information: click here
Notes: We will email the voucher code for the AMD Rewards website within 14 days of receipt of the goods. Only end customers receive free gifts. Non-qualifying products are not eligible for free gifts.
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor at a Glance:
- 24 "Zen2"-Cores with 280 Watt Thermal Design Power (TDP)
- 48 Threads thanks to Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT)
- Very high single- and Multi-Threaded performance
- Base Clock of 3.8 GHz & 4.5 GHz Turbo with Precision Boost
- Automatic overclocking thanks to XFR
- Unlocked multiplier for manual overclocking (unlocked CPU)
- Large unified memory cache: combined 144 MB L2- and L3 Cache
- Highly efficient 7 Nanometer FinFET transistors
- AVX2 Instruction Set Extension for complex vector calculations
- Two AES Units for fast, reliable data encryption
- Overhauled sTRX4 platform with extensive features
- Supports energy-efficient DDR4-RAM (Quad-Channel)
- Boxed version without CPU cooler!
AMD Zen2 - Scalable Architecture in 7 nmThe AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X is a "Zen2"-gen processor with 24 physical CPU cores. Thanks to Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT), "Zen2" cores are each capable of processing two threads simultaneously, meaning that the total number of cores available has been doubled to a total of 48 cores effectively. The 24-core CPU functions with a high base clock of 3.8 GHz per core, with Precision Boost allowing it to turbo boost up to 4.5 GHz (single core) in realtime while remaining within TDP. The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is 280 Watts on this model.
The silicon is lithographed using the advanced 7nm FinFET manufacturing process. Thanks to the significant reduces in node size and thus the amount of space opened up on the die, this has allowed for the integration of a total of 16 MB Level 2 Cache and a full 128 MB Level 3 Cache to be embedded at the heart of the CPU. Due to the intelligently controlled cached buffer and thanks to the implementation of "Smart Prefetch" algorithms, Ryzen is capable of incredibly efficient predictive behaviours, making Ryzen a winner when it comes to the smooth and uninterrupted processing of data in any scenario, whether the CPU is used for gaming and VR all the way up to cloud computing and virtualisation.
Extended Frequency Range (XFR) for Automatic OverclockingManual overclocking is no longer something that owners of AMD's Ryzen Threadripper series need concern themselves with, this is because the CPU regulates the entire process itself: The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X is equipped with a revolutionary Auto-OC feature called Extended Frequency Range (XFR). This means the CPU's frequency can exceed by leaps and bounds the factory-established Boost Clock limits - that is while the chip is supplied with sufficient cooling at any rate. As soon as the CPU's integrated sensors detect an increase in cooling capacity, the Ryzen CPU adjusts its frequencies in accordance with the cooling solution available.
Overclocking has never been so easy! Depending on whether the processor receives air cooling courtesy of a relatively diminutive boxed cooler or a larger tower- or dual-tower cooler, high-end AiO- or custom water cooling, or even with extreme solutions such as liquid nitrogen (LN2), XFR unlocks significant increases in clock frequency in the premium and enthusiast segments depending on the cooling performance available.
Alternatively, all AMD Ryzen CPUs are "unlocked" and have - as usual from the "Black Editions" and "K" variants of earlier model series - an unlocked multiplier, so that overclockers can easily increase the relatively high clock rates directly by hand in the BIOS or UEFI or using software tools, an appropriate motherboard with the OC-enabled chipset AMD TRX40 and sufficient additional cooling is required.
- This is a boxed "WOF" version without a bundled CPU cooler
- Attention: Using an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3000 CPU requires a TRX40 motherboard that includes the sTRX4 socket.
- Attention: Due to the size of the Ryzen Threadripper CPU, the TR4 LGA socket differs markedly when compared to its competitors' sockets. Please pay close attention to the installation instructions when mounting the CPU on the motherboard!
AMD Ryzen TR 3960X
Zen2 (Castle Peak)
Node: 7 nm FinFET
- CPU Cores: 24 / 48 (physical / virtual)
- CPU clock:
Base clock: 3.8 GHz
Boost clock: max. 4.5 GHz (Precision Boost)
- Level 2 cache: 16 MB
- Level 3 cache: 128 MB
- Integrated PCI Express 4.0 lanes:
x64 (x8 for chipset, x8 reserved for NVMe SSDs)
- Main memory:
Memory controller: internal
Memory channels: 4
Max. Memory: 256 GB
Memory standard: DDR4 (ECC & non-ECC)
- TDP: 280 Watt
- Socket compatibility: sTRX4
- Command set extensions:
SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading)
X86-64 (64-bit AMD64 processor)
AMD-V (Compute Virtualization)
VT-Vi (I/O MMU virtualization)
2x AES units (encryption)
AVX & AVX2 (Advanced Vector Extensions)
NX bit (virus protection) & EVP (advanced virus protection)
TBT 3.0 (Turbo Core 3.0)
- Special feature:
Free multiplier (unlocked)
Further links for "Ryzen Threadripper 3960X - Socket sTRX4 - boxed"
|CPU series||AMD Ryzen Threadripper|
|CPU architecture||AMD Castle Peak|
|Hyper- / Multithreading||yes|
|Memory controller||Quad Channel|
|Packaging||boxed / retail|